Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Outside Groups and Individual Volunteers
Status: Full Time
The custodian is responsible for the appearance, cleanliness and maintenance of the building and grounds.
- Keep the church facility clean, attractive, and well maintained, inside and out, ensuring that it is presentable at time of use.
- Perform daily cleaning in all public areas of the building, including bathrooms, sanctuary, kitchens, meeting/classrooms, etc.
- Observe proper chemical handling procedures when working with cleaning agents, including wearing gloves, goggles, or masks and following written or verbal instructions.
- Work with other maintenance team members and church staff to ensure that all areas are cleaned and stocked with necessary items as needed.
- Perform maintenance, such as changing light bulbs and restocking bathrooms, and making repairs.
- Prepare the sanctuary and other rooms for worship services and church events.
- Take inventory and order cleaning and maintenance supplies as needed.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools as needed.
- Lead people and groups in service opportunities with the custodial and maintenance work. This includes checking to make sure work was done to church standards and noticing and following through when things are out of place.
- Schedule and coordinate volunteers for specific church maintenance/repair projects as needed.
- Create and follow daily, weekly and yearly maintenance schedules/checklist.
- Communicate effectively with nighttime custodian, church staff and volunteers as needed to coordinate custodian responsibilities.
- Attend staff meetings.
Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details.
Aesthetic Awareness: Demonstrates a natural awareness about the effective organization of space for different purposes; possesses a natural orientation towards cleanliness and orderliness of space; appreciates the value of and need for sacred space and knows how to physically tend to it.
Initiative: Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and energetic about worthwhile activities; not fearful of taking calculated risks; seizes opportunities; sets demanding but achievable objectives for self and others.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest and transparent communication; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t operate with hidden agendas; responds to situations with constancy and reliability.
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and directs the time of others to what is important; quickly zones in on the critical issue, and ignores or minimizes distractions; can sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; demonstrates focus.
Send resumes to Jennifer Tripoli at firstname.lastname@example.org